Saturday, March 24, 2007

Spitting MAD

When did spitting in public become a common thing? A couple of weeks ago as I was walking to work, I saw a person casually turn his head and spit. He was walking toward me about half a block away.

This wasn't the first time I've come across this behaviour. When I was living in Yellowknife I saw a lot of public spitting-- somewhat disturbing given that TB is practically a pandemic in the North.

Growing up, my parents made it very clear that spitting in the street was completely unacceptable. Even now I think there are only two occasions for public spitting (aside from accidental spit takes)-- eating watermelon or eating sunflower seeds (which are available here in Canada under the brand name Spitz). Even then it shouldn't be done on public streets but in the privacy of your backyard or at the cottage. (I admit I do indulge in Spitz at Rider games but I am careful to spit the shells discreetly and not on the opposing team's fans who invariably sit in front of me.)

Don't even get me started about the slobs who empty their automobile's ashtrays in public parking lots in the winter believing the mess will melt with the snow.

MADLibrarian

No comments: