Monday, May 19, 2008

The Official Start of Summer

Although the Summer Solstice won't be for another month and we live with the risk of frost, this weekend was the official start of the summer season here on the Prairies-- also known as the May Long Weekend (really it's Victoria Day but very few call it that).

It was a nice weekend. I didn't get as much yardwork done as I would have liked-- none actually although I did change the oil in my lawnmower and replaced a leaky water tap on the front of my house.

I also made a torte (happy news for all my relatives coming to Dad's birthday party in July) and took my parents out for ice cream for their anniversary which isn't until next week but they will be in Portland with my sister.

Instead of yardwork I read a few books. In preparation for an author visit in June I read I am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby. Wow. I learned a lot about life on a Hutterite colony. I can't wait to talk to Mary-Ann about her childhood. I was looking forward to seeing her at the Festival of Words in Moose Jaw and now she's coming to my library!

I also read this year's Lloydminster Reads selection What I'm trying to say is goodbye by Lois Simmie. Lois will be in town in August as part of Arts Without Borders which is the cultural component of the Saskatchewan Summer Games. It's a pretty cool book with Alcoholics Anonymous, a philandering MLA, a slightly vengeful poltergeist, religious cultists and others. Funny, sad, serious. Another author I'm looking forward to meeting.

MADLibrarian

No comments: